Monday, April 20, 2009

Okay I'm home now

So, I had my operation and I'm recovering at home. Because the dr. could do microscopic surgery I only have an incision that is about 2 inches long. It's unbelievable that I could be on the mend so soon after surgery but I am. It's so hard for me to lay around most of the day. Sitting is the worst and I shouldn't even be sitting at this computer for long at all because I will pay for it. I have my broken china hearts that haven't been finished sitting on the counter and every once in a while I walk by them. Then I pick up the Exacto knife and scrape off some grout that didn't get whiped off. This gives me some satisfaction at least. Thank goodness the weather is nice because I can go outside for a little walk (I stress little because I can't overdo).

So, what else is ocupying my mind? My mom in the care center and my father-in-law that needs to go to a care center. I talk with so many people my age that are going through the same guilt producing experience. It's just awful but our parents are living way longer these days. Unfortunately medical science hasn't caught up with the quality aspect of the longevity. I'm hoping they will get that down by the time Chris and I are old. I don't want to burden my kids.

My journey with my mom started probably 9 years ago-at least my journey with retirement homes and care centers. It has been a rocky one to say the least. When we got her into the retirement home we had to give away her dog and cat. Now if that didn't make us feel like dirty dogs I don't know what else would.....well there were plently of those nasty little circumstances to come up. I won't share with the world some of the yuckier ones but I will tell you that we have tried and tried and tried to keep her in the retirement home. Probably every 6 months, at least, my sisters, brother and I torture ourselves with wondering what to do with her. We have done everything possible to keep her where she loves being. But with these oldsters you try and try...then try some more and you wonder why you can't fix the problem. Well, you just can't. Eventually my mom fell and broke her hip about 5 years ago. Then last fall she broke her wrist. Then her leg. Each time we had successfully helped her to transition into St. Joseph's Villa care center. Then we successfully got her back to the Parklane retirement home. Each time she progressivly has gone down hill. Now she's in there for good. Not only that but she's in long term care (full nursing). But this lady rallies! We never thought she would walk again but she is with a walker. That's the stage we're at right now.

Okay, my back hurts. Time to walk around.

Next time: The exciting episodes of cleaning my mom's apartment and what treasures we beheld. Bonus story: How my sister and I got into a fight, then stabbed the #@#! doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment