Friday, February 12, 2010

Today's Art Tip...Always Think of Yourself as an Aritist!


Always consider yourself an artist. Don't doubt as to whether you are or not. You create, don't you? My best teacher, Robert Rumel, always had us start our art class with a blank piece of paper. On it we had to write "I am an artist" 10 times. Then do circles all over it in a conscious way. This was called our affirmations. It affirmed that we are, indeed, artists. Sometimes it needs to be drilled into our heads-by ourselves-our worst critic.

3 comments:

  1. I think most artist are our worst critic. I dout myself all the time. When I see others work I just wish I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. We think we're imposters, don't we? I have to tell you a little story. Throughout my career as an art teacher I worried that one of my adult students would ask me to help them with an ocean scene because I had never done one! Of course my fear became a reality one day. This is how I handled that. I said, "Well, we don't have time to start this today (and we didn't, really). So, let's do that next time". Well, within the next week I ran to the art store and bought a bunch of those Walter Foster how to books that my grandmother loved so much. I thought it was the best way for me to hurray up and learn. Then I went back to my studio and proceeded to learn how to do it so I wouldn't look like a fool when the student came the next time. We live by the mountains and the nearest ocean is 100's of miles away. I even painted a little scene. Then when it was art class the next time I was able to say, "Now let's begin". As artists we always think that someone is going to find us out. I've even talked to musicians that are fabulous and they feel the same way. I guess that just attests to the fact that we never can stop learning and learning from others is so important!

    ReplyDelete